Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 11 - Concern

Hello all! I have no updates as far as recovery save that numbness and swelling continues. Phantom itching is starting up even more and my skin is starting to get a very little bit better.

I do, however, have a concern with my appearance. I notice that my lips do not close at rest and I show my bottom teeth, rather like a bulldog. I can close my lips, but it does take a conscious effort. Did anyone else have this problem post op? Did it go away or do you still need to force yourself to close your mouth. I'm really worried :(

You can kind of tell in the pics, though they don't do justice to the problem as I wasn't fully relaxed.

Also, please ignore the fact that I dripped water down my shirt like a child.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Nora! Glad you are doing well! You are looking great! As far as the lips go, I had the same problem with my lips not touching and after reading other people's blogs it seems like most people tend to have that problem at first. I think as my swelling went down it got better, and now they almost touch. So I am hoping that part of the reason they don't touch is because of the braces. So just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nora! Yes, that is completely normal! Both Dani and I were complaining of the same thing post-op and now we can both close our mouths just fine. It took a while though so don't get discouraged. The scar tissue needs to get broken up and the skin loosened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, I still need a tiny bit of effort to close my lips and it took me weeks to get to the point I am at now. It's not that it's anything I have to consciously think about, I seem to pull them together most of the time without even thinking about it, but when I just bite down and completely relax, there is still a space between my lips. They are so close to touching, but I am not sure if they will ever fully touch. It is still MUCH better than they were pre-op.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nora,
    You look amazing for 12 days out. Don't stress anything about appearance yet. You still have a good deal of swelling, especially around your mouth. It will take time for your face to "settle". I imagine though, its hard not to stand in front of the mirror all day examining. Best wishes!
    Smiles,
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete