Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 31 - 1 month?! Yes indeed :)

Oh my goodness. I can't believe it. It has been exactly one month since I had my double jaw surgery. One month ago this minute I was in a propofol coma in a hospital bed. And let me tell you, I have come a looooooong way.

So what does one do one month after a 13.5 hour surgical procedure? Well if you're me you decide to eat solid foods that are technically not part of a "mushy" diet and go rafting in a chasm during a thunder and lightning storm. True story. I was surprised when it hit me. Today I went to Ausable Chasm and went rafting on the river running through the chasm. During the ride the heavens opened. Thunder boomed, lighting flashed and rain poured. And there I was in water, in a raft in front of some dummy who opened a metal frame umbrella while the guide handed out aluminum handled paddles with the reassuring words "Alright guys I need to call a protocol and get us out of the water as soon as possible." It really was an awesome way to mark my biggest milestone yet.

I did some more forest walks and walked around the city of Lake Placid again, ending the day with bonesless buffalo wings. I couldn't chew, had to rip it up really teensy, my tongue was on fire and I was sweating. Did I care? Absolutely not. My taste buds were in heaven :)

Soreness today is also not nearly as bad as yesterday. I think the muscle relaxers and moist heat sessions are really helping me out. I even looked somewhat normal in pictures today.

Numbness is slowly dissipating. I'd say I have about 60% feeling back in my skin, but I'm still about 90% numb in deeper tissue and in my chin, nose and upper lip.

To summarize, one month out and I feel like a new person. I never thought that I'd make it to this point. I'm absolutely stunned with the journey that I've made (and am still on) to this point. For those of you about to go through this, or who are just at the first stages of recovery, all I have to say is that you will be amazed what one month can do. I know that I am. And I am thankful for it every single day.









2 comments:

  1. Hey Nora! I am glad to hear you are doing so well! It looks and sounds like you are having a fantastic vacation! Congrats on making it to the one month mark! Your pictures look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, your vacation looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete