Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 28 - Freedom and Frustration

Well today is exactly four weeks since I had my jaw surgery. I had my weekly appointment with Dr A. After a look at my x-rays, he deemed my jaw fit to be unwired! Freedom at last!!! Well...sort of.

They clipped off the wires and I seriously felt as though my bottom jaw was going to fall off. It is the strangest sensation I've ever felt. No pain, just weak and stiff. I'm now in training rubber bands and have been cleared for a "mushy" diet.

I think I'll be sticking with blenderized stuff for a while, but in celebration I went out and bought myself some macaroni and cheese. Oh. My. Gosh! It was mind bogglingly delicious. I had to eat it one piece at a time and use my fingers because my mouth cant open wide enough to allow a fork and the piece of macaroni through, but I don't care how silly I looked. Solid food! Blissful solid food!

With this freedom comes some serious frustration. Frustration that had me in major tears for the first time since the first week of recovery. I can't get my bite the same as it was in the wires. When I came out of surgery, my lower midline was about a millimeter to the left of the upper midline. Now I can't figure out how to get my teeth together, and when I do the lower midline is to the right of the upper. I'm so frustrated right now! I can't figure it out. I feel angry, sad, very frustrated and like a total failure right now. I just don't know what to do. I want my wires back. They at least gave me a sense of security. This is just way too much after all of the things I've already gone through.

I hope the rest of you are doing better than I am right now.

I'll post pictures a.s.a.p. I haven't taken them yet.






6 comments:

  1. Ugg, Nora. So sad that you are having such a hard time after the joy of being unwired. Don't panic, perhaps you can stop back into your doc's office and he can help guide you to the correct bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora,
    I am sad to hear you are having such a hard time!! And I don't know how you put up with a blenderized diet for that long, I know you had to because you were wired but after a week I was so over the liquid food. But I do remember when I was able to eat Mac and cheese! That was my first deviation away from my mashed potatoes and milkshakes that I had been eating twice a day everyday, so I am glad you at least got to enjoy that!

    As far as the bands go my orthodontist and oral surgeon have been changing the configuration of where they go every time I go in to see them because they are trying to align my midline so my jaw will heal correctly. So I understand your panic, but I would just suggest putting the bands however your doctor had them and calling them about it to see if they want you to come back in or just wait until your next appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. There are so many frustrations, I'm sure, but none are your fault so don't feel like a failure!

    You have some serious will power to get this far, especially on a liquid diet!

    Wishing you a better day x

    oh and p.s you look stunning- your eyes look huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nora -

    You bite will begin to align itself with the banding regiment...when I got out of surgery my mouth was "banded" shut, the next day a new banding configuration and my bite was off that day but has continued to adjust and guide itself into place.
    Don't hit the panic button yet...enjoy the freedom and have faith in the process!

    Have a super wonderful day!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries, Nora, it will all fall into place. You were wired so long, so it is totally normal that you are having a hard time with your bite. Brent is right that your rubberbands will give you that sense of security again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't believe how nice and helpful all of you are. It really is incredible. I'm feeling much more confident after reading that some of you have dealt with the same thing. It's really just the worry of messing something up this far along that has me so on edge. If you haven't noticed, I can be something of a worry-wart, lol. Thanks everyone for your soothing words. I don't know where I'd be without you wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete