Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 14 - Terror and Relief at 2 weeks

Today I'm doing well, thank goodness, because last night I had a serious scare.

I think it was a muscle spasm, but it felt like I was clenching my jaw harder than I ever have in my entire life. It hurt sooo bad and I couldn't force myself to relax. I was terrified that the intense pressure was going to knock something out of place/rip out screws and plates/ rupture suture lines. To sum it up I had a full blown panic attack.

Thankfully today was my 2 week appointment with Dr A. He took x rays and assured me that all was as it should be, and that my suture lines were healing beautifully.

I asked him about my nose widening and about my upper lip losing thickness. I was afraid maybe I'd popped my alar stitch. He said that whether I did or did not, after about 6 months when most of the swelling is gone, he'd be happy to narrow my nose with another cinch in the clinic. So now I'm reassured knowing that the only visible issues can be easily fixed and are temporary. He also assured me that my midline is intentionally off so that my bite can be more functional and that this, too can be fixed with braces.

So today all of my worries were put to rest or given solutions. I'm happy.

I cannot believe that it has been two weeks since my surgery. Come to think of it I can't believe I did it! Aside from the wiring, it's already like some strange distant dream. I cannot wait to see my final results.

Cheers!!!



3 comments:

  1. Nora,

    You are looking good, lady! I'm so glad to hear that your mind is being put to ease, and that your issues are being addressed. It makes the healing process a bit easier. :-) Get some rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look marvelous darling!! So glad everything turned out ok. That clinching can be scary!! This jaw surgery business is a big deal!!

    Carpe Diem...
    Tresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cece and Tresa, if I haven't said it already, you guys are great. I really never knew just how much comes along with this surgery, but each day is one day closer to the end. It's getting easier and I'm feeling better. It really helps having this blog and people like you who understand :)

    Thanks for the smile Mr Lonely

    ReplyDelete