Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 41 - Just Keep on Movin'

For those of you wonderful people who still follow this: ok so I admit it - 41 days out from surgery there isn't anything really exciting to report. At this point everything is really about waiting for all of the tiny little changes. I'm impatient, but it gives me something to look forward to now that the excitement of surgery has passed.

FINALLY my skin is getting back to normal. It's still a bit oily but breakouts have calmed down. My only complaint is that it sometimes feels dry and tight,  and around my mouth is irritated even though it's not chapped. But hey, it's a heck of a lot better than it was just two weeks ago.

The problems I had fully extending my arms is finally a non-issue. They're still a bit too stiff to unbend entirely when I first wake up, but by the end of the day I can extend them far enough to lock my elbows.

The bedsores on my heels are still healing, though they aren't red or open anymore. The look just like any other healing blister, only larger.

Swelling is still present, but there's so little that a lot of people don't even know I've had surgery when they look at me.

I have only two complaints: my bite and my food. My bite was so tightly locked together on the right, with the left slightly open when I came out of surgery and my front teeth overlapped nicely. Now it seems like it isn't as tight. Like the front teeth barely close enough to form any overlap. My right teeth dont feel as tightly meshed and my left teeth now sometimes touch. Does this mean something has shifted out of place? I'm going to mention this to Dr A next week and see what he says. As for food, eating is still difficult. I can't open my mouth enough to make chewing effective, and I can't really find things for a soft diet on campus other than starchy processed side dishes or ice cream. I'm also scared of gaining all of the weight back from the unhealthy campus food.

The only thing that really gets in the way of living "normally" other than the eating, is that I'm still petrified of knocking something out of place. A friend hugged me and bumped my chin with her shoulder, and even that was enough to make me worry something would shift.  I just don't know how much my bones can take, so I'm really babying my jaw still. I'll add that to the list of things to to talk to Dr A about.

I'm still in rubber bands. There are 6 in a very odd configuration, though as they're keeping things in line, I won't complain. As for when I can stop wearing them, or if I will change the configuration I have no clue. There really are a lot of unknowns right now. This is also the first week where I won't be seeing my surgeon, so that has me a bit anxious about everything as well. I'll have my nerves put at ease and my questions answered in another week. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Brent and Catherine, you two are looking so good! It really seems like the time has just flown by. Be well everyone!

Pics for today and the previous days are on the way!



Creepy red eyes lol



4 comments:

  1. Hi Nora!
    I think you look good too! Also, I would say that at day 41 the bones have minded pretty strong...but I know what you mean - I am very cautious as well! Here is another thing, I have had my arms lock up on my in the morning when I stretch them out..weird!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora! I have been following your blog since before your surgery and its so awesome to see your progress! I am 19 days post op and am still suffering from weird oily/dry skin. Its nice to hear it will eventually go back to normal! Good luck finding good soft chew foods!

    Atenas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!
    Glad your sores are healing, they must have been so horrible. Your skin is looking glowing too. Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brent, I'm definitely extra cautious. It's good to know I'm not the only one with the stiff arms, though sorry to hear it's bothered someone else. It does go away!!! Keep on healing :)

    Atenas, I just checked out your blog and you're looking wonderful! Everything just gets better from where you are. If you have any questions just ask!

    Catherine, thanks :) I just saw some of your more recent pics and you look FABULOUS for your point in recovery. Seriously. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete