Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 30 - A Placid Afternoon

Hello bloggers! Today is day 30 of my recovery, and the hitting of a couple huge milestones.

First and foremost - I feel good enough physically that my parents and I are on vacation! I'm about 6 hours from home, and well enough where I'm not worried about being close to my blender (though we brought it with us) or losing energy or being in pain. So the family, sans my older sister who is in Russia, decided to take a weekend in the Adirondack Mountains. It's absolutely beautiful, and the fresh air and beautiful scenery are definitely good for my the health of my body and mind. We walked around the main town of Lake Placid today. I even got my first pair of snowboarding boots! No more rentals for me :) Thanks, Mom!

Second - I. ate. real. food! This afternoon I was able to get down a delicious whole wheat pancake by tearing it up into tiny bits and mushing around with my tongue. It was really quite good. Then this evening I managed to eat an entire slice of pizza in the same manner. Granted I had to eat with my fingers (and one time while in a diner :-o ), but I was so thrilled to have solid food. I even managed a few nibbles of a brownie.

Healing is going well, but since I got the wires off I've been in more pain than I have through this entire process, not counting the first few days. It isn't exactly sharp, debilitating pain, but I definitely feel some soreness in my left joint and some ouch in the right (where it accidentally broke) when I use my mouth too much.

I also think I have a hematoma on the right side. It's a hard lump, but it's not too painful to touch. It shrinks with moist heat. If it hasn't gone down more by thursday, I'll have Dr A check it out, just to be safe and make sure there are no infections or abscesses or anything of that nature. Not very worried right now though.

Mobility is still very limited. I can't even open my mouth wide enough to insert a finger. But, considering I can open my mouth now I'm not complaining. Dr A wants me to start doing jaw exercises in about 2 weeks time, and has written a prescription for physical therapy in the event that I need the extra help.

My skin is still in gross mode, but there honestly isn't much I can do but wait it out, so I'm just trying ignore it. Not the easiest for someone like me, but I'm trying.

All in all I'm doing quite well. More pain than usual, but nothing too major. I've definitely come a long way from the first days where I was praying for the hell to stop. And what better place to find myself at this stage than in the Adirondacks? I'm pleased :)

P.S. I'll post pics later. Our camera is broken and the battery cover has to be taped on. Since we have no tape with us, I don't want to open it up and risk not being able to shut it again. I promise you aren't missing anything exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nora -
    How fun for you! I wish I was so were you are! My range of motion is minimal too - I can barely get on finger into my mouth too. I am hopeful that after more healing I can get that back!
    Looking forward to pictures!!
    Enjoy your holiday!!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are getting out and about, it sounds stunning.

    Also I bet that pancake was one of the most delicious things to pass your lips hehe, well done on eating your first solids. It must have been so tough being on a liquid diet so long. Did you lose a lot of weight? I ate solids on my first day. I don't know how but I've just forced myself too... I hope it's not doing me considerable damage!

    I don't know what's wrong with your skin, it doesn't look bad in pictures. I understand if it just doesn't feel right. Your body has taken a beating, it's bound to be a little out of sync. I'm sure when you start feeling better your skin will also get better.

    I hope you are enjoying yourself and the pain remains minimal xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, yes, pancakes were heavenly.
    As to the weight thing I did lose quite a bit. I lost 10 pounds in the first week. Once I started with my own protein shake (which I will post instructions for) The weight loss stopped and stabilized. I'm back down to 106 from 114, which is good because the extra 8 pounds was from really bad eating habits.
    In terms of skin, the pics don't show it because I wear makeup to try and hide it, but it's horribly greasy and I have a LOT of little bumps and blemishes all over my chin, neck, arms, shoulders, and hairline. It is improving slowly, though.
    I hope you're doing well! I know this isn't easy, but you've already come so far from day 1 :)

    ReplyDelete