Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 71 - Horses and Hot Wings

Hello there everybody! It's day 71 now and I've been busy busy busy. It's the first non-rainy day since my family got to Lake Placid and we've certainly taken advantage of it. Earlier in the day we spent a few hours browsing shops. Then we took a horse-back ride through a mountain trail and everywhere we looked was a feast for the eyes of autumn foliage and mountainous skylines. My horse was a lovely white one by the name of Sinatra, and he was a real sweetie. Our group was led by someone on the American bobsled team in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics - way cool! Then it was off to a local sports bar/restaurant where there was an amusing mix up involving regular and boneless wings. All in all a fun-filled day with my family. :)

There was no more pain today in my left joint, so I'm hoping it was a freak occurrence. Swelling is down even more, too. Numbness isn't noticeably different day by day so I can't honestly give you an update on that. 

At this point things are basically getting back to normal. I can eat almost anything and I look like a passable human being at last. I'm starting to like my new face. My pictures don't really show it yet because I just don't know how to present myself anymore. However, when I look in the mirror I can pick out things that I like. Even my nose, which I once was so bothered by, is starting to grow on me. I still think it's a bit too wide and others agree, but I'm not totally self-conscious of it anymore. With luck it will decrease in size as the last bits of swelling go down. If not it's a simple fix - just a quick alar cinch in the dental clinic and the problem is solved.

The only thing I'm unhappy with is my actual teeth. They're more crooked than pre-op because I haven't any braces to hold them in line, and this new screw is making a gap. There is also a nick in my gumline over my upper front left tooth from the new band. It has healed but it now looks like a step shape rather than a smooth curve. These things, while they seem little, frustrate me a lot. I think the last steps of this process will be to get my teeth cleaned of peridex stains, have my gums shaped and my teeth re-aligned. All of this will probably be in December.

Despite these little setbacks I'm overall very pleased with everything. I'm not troubled by ceaseless pain anymore and I have a chin! In my book those are two things worth celebrating. This surgery has honestly been such a blessing to me.

I hope the rest of you are well!

Again, I have pics but I'm going to wait until I have some tape for the camera before I dare open it. Silly broken camera...



No comments:

Post a Comment