Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 70 - A Birthday and a Hike

Day 70 is now nearly over. A good day it's been, too; we celebrated my father's birthday and had a nice day with the family.

I had some sharp pain today in my left TMJ. This of course is cause for concern as I really do NOT want the pain to come back. Even worse the pain was different and sharper/more severe than it used to be. Whereas in the past pain was localized to the "inside" of the joint (when the angle of it actually opens) and was more of a dull ache, this is outside and up by the ear with sharp, stabbing pain. I did chew steak last night and I slept on that side, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is why it hurt.

Swelling is down more and I noticed that my skin is almost completely back to normal in terms of numbness. I'd say feeling is about 85-90% returned in most parts of my skin. Deep tissue is harder to gauge and my gums are still about 95% numb. Mobility is coming back and allowing for more facial expression, but I have not gained any more ability to open my mouth. Progress has stopped just shy of two knuckles in opening. Time to set up that physical therapy that I keep putting off.

This entire healing process, any difficulty has come from the right side. It just hasn't cooperated. There was the spitting stitch and pain in the beginning, the excessive swelling, the adhering and dimpling scar and all of the scar tissue inside my mouth. It just doesn't want to do what it should and now is no different. Last appointment Dr A cut through some scar tissue to free things up on that side. Unfortunately it has either re-adhered or I need more cut. Everything on that side is hard and stretched taught with "string" type bands of tissue connecting things that shouldn't be connected. I'm a bit frustrated, though not worried since I know Dr A can pretty much fix anything.

My biggest frustration right now is the gap between my front teeth caused by the new screw. I did NOT go through 13.5 hours of surgery only to be embarrassed to smile because of this stupid gap tooth thing. I know I sound like a brat when I say this, but it had better get resolved fast, because I refuse to have it. It's just one of those things that really gets to me after everything I've been through.

That's about it. As I said, today was my father's birthday. We spent the day hiking towards Marcy Dam. The walk was exhausting but satisfying. We made it 99% of the way, with 1/10 of a mile left to go before we all caved to sore feet. Hurrican Irene wiped out the dam, though, so even if we'd made it all the way I think I'd have been depressed to see the once beautiful area now a mud flat. All in all it was a wonderful day and I think my father really enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed just being with my family.

I hope the rest of you have had nice days and are in good spirits. Be well!

I have pictures but I'm going to post them tomorrow since we don't have any tape to close the camera if I open it up again. That poor thing is so beat up, lol.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nora! You are doing great! Don't worry about the gap in your teeth, they can fix that super quick. I have one that constantly wants to come back but they just power chain it up and it is closed in a day...seriously!

    ReplyDelete