Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 45 - Owie and Om Noms

Hi there everyone! Day 45 is coming to a close and the recovery continues.

It's been a rather lazy day, mostly spend knitting a shawl, so I haven't exerted too much energy for once. That doesn't mean pain free, though. I'm still having soreness in my right TMJ (where the break is, not in the joint itself) which is worse when I try to excercise and open my mouth. It does worry me on two levels. On the first I'm worried that I'm hindering the healing of the break by moving my jaw, and on the second I'm worried that I'm going to lose mobility because I can't practice opening  it without encountering pain. I'd rate the pain as a  2 at rest and a 6 - 7 when I open.

Pain not withstanding, healing is still going pretty smoothly. My mother talked to one of members of my surgical team, who said swelling can continue to go up and down for up to a year. He's not kidding. You can use my face as a clock - seriously. Swelling is more or less depending on the time of day. It's funny. Sometimes I look like a little marshmallow. ^_^

I even ate real food today...and chewed it! Well sort of. I still had to cut up my spaghetti and meatballs but they were soft enough to chew in my strange way. It felt nice to eat a full meal and use my teeth.

Be well everyone!!!









1 comment:

  1. Hi Nora!
    Congrats on eating something! Isn't it wonderful!! I can certainly relate to swelling going up and down - very frustrating. Also, I would suggest that the healing in your bones is very substantial by now and that movement in your jaw would be helpful to increase your range of motion. What does your surgeon say about that?

    You are looking great!
    Cheers to you!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete