Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 44 - A Visit Home

Hello all, this post is coming from my house rather than campus, so I'm in a rather cheerful mood about that :)

Nothing much has changed in my recovery since yesterday so I don't have much to report on that. No changes good or bad, and that's alright by me!

I would, however, like to bring up something that makes me a little sad. After surgery I LOVED my new bite. Things were tightly meshed and overlapped beautifully. It felt and looked fantastic. Now...not so much. It has changed a LOT. I can't duplicate my bite from when it was wired and it's really upsetting me. I hope braces can fix it. There's no sugar coating or denying this one. Since I got unwired my bite has shifted and changed rather damatically - and I'm not happy: in fact I want to cry. I pray that braces can fix this one and make it as nice as it was when I first woke up 41 days ago. I'll talk to Dr A. This really bothers me.

Other than that there isn't much to tell today. I'm including a pic of my mouth so you can see my most recent bite and all of the hardware. The archbars have come a bit loose from the pulling by the rubber bands, so they've shifted down. I can wiggle them up and down quite a bit actually.













3 comments:

  1. Nora,
    I am sorry that things aren't looking the way that they were in the beginning or the way that you want them too! I hope that braces can fix everything! I have never seen this surgery done without braces... If you don't mind me asking why are they putting them on after surgery rather than before?

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, great question and I don't mind in the least!

    For me the decision was a matter of time. My arthritis had gotten quite bad, and I really really really wanted this procedure to finally get done after years of hoping. I'd had braces in the past, so my teeth were in an ok place to go through with surgery. The decision was made that I'd get the surgery to prevent further degeneration of the joints and then get braces on after (my third go round in them *shudder*).

    I'm actually quite pleased with the route that I took. I didn't have to wait for the orthodontics and deal with worsening arthritis before going in for surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh okay. Yeah I know what you mean about waiting for the surgery I have known for six or so years that I needed it and like yours it finally happened this summer. Yay! Good luck with braces #3 I am on set #2. I hope that you are healing well!

    ReplyDelete