Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 127 - Appointments and Preparations

Hello there everyone! Today, day 127, has been lovely. I'm home for Thanksgiving break and I had an appointment with Dr A. And...I now have a surgery date!

The appointment went really well. Dr A seemed excited about the progress I've made in opening my mouth and my healing overall. Things have really turned out great. The screws did not come out today, but they don't bother me so I'm alright with that. However, I have been instructed to stop wearing the bands until next time I see my surgeon. He said that this will hopefully allow that front tooth to move back to where it was. The problem with my jaw deviating the left is getting much better with therapy, so he isn't worried about not having bands on to guide me. That, plus the fact that most people are out of bands around 8 - 12 weeks. Yay, no more bands (I hope)!

Best of all we have a plan for revision surgery and a tentative date! Surgery is set for December 30th. I think that's really appropriate. This whole process really kicked of with the removal of my wisdom teeth at the end of this past January, so it seems fitting that the year will close with my last surgical procedure and (for the most part) close this chapter in my life. 2011 has been one crazy year for me to say the least. The surgical plan is that Dr A will free up the scar on my right cheek from the underlying muscle and then he will remove the scar tissue from inside my mouth. It shouldn't be a tough recovery at all, and I will have the entire month to re-heal a bit before returning to University for spring semester. I'm excited :)

Even beyond the super positive and exciting appointment today was pleasant. As I said, I am home for a break, which is awesome. Tomorrow I'll be helping my mother prepare Thanksgiving dinner. I have a yummy recipe that I'm going to try out. Then my aunt, uncle, and cousins will be joining us for the feast. It will be a fun day of family and thanks...and amazing food. Yippee!

I hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving! Be well :)

I also decided to do something different for today's pictures. Rather than the usual profile shots I'm posting the first really "glamorous" pictures of me since surgery to show you something fun and new.

left

right

2 comments:

  1. Wow your profile looks amazing mine looks like your before photos. I just want that feeling of putting on lipstick with out my my mouth hanging open due to my open bite :)Thanks for your blog I'm finding it very helpful in making my decision on having jaw surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and welcome to my blog, Jeanette :) I hope you find it helpful and if you have any questions about any part of this, feel free to ask. Jaw surgery isn't easy, but it is rewarding!

    ReplyDelete