Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 107 - Home Sweet Home

Alrighty folks, 107 days have now passed since surgery, and to be honest I'm finding it difficult to think of things to talk about. I'm home yet again. My sister is a bridesmaid and today was the dress fitting. Since she and I attend the same college I decided to take the trip home with her. Seeing my parents and my dog, and getting home cooked meals are definitely tops on my list of happy things. Tomorrow it's back to the island, but I'll be returning home again next week for a wedding and for another surgical visit.

Still no news on surgery yet, Dr A is going through all of the preliminary insurance things right now, so we can't schedule OR time until we find out what's going on with that. The good news is that the lump on the right beneath my scar that had plagued me since surgery is now melting away bit by bit. The scar is still stuck down to the muscle, but at least there isn't such a bad lump anymore.

Jaw things were quiet again today, and I even managed to eat a tootsie roll! For my non-american viewers that may not know what that is, it's a rather hard and chewy chocolate candy, almost like chocolate taffy. I couldn't chow down on it like I used to, but if I broke it into small enough pieces and kept it in my hand to stay soft, I was able to eat it. So exciting! It really is the simple things in life that make me smile. :)

I did want to mention my personal experience with numbness recovery. Like everyone else I came out of surgery 100% numb from the eyes down. Strangely I was able to smile and make facial expressions while still in the hospital, which apparently not everyone can do. Many people also report strong buzzing, vibration or tingling as the nerves recover. I didn't have any of that at all. The first month or so after surgery I would feel sharp pinches, almost like a needle jab every so often, but nothing more. The nerve pinching has entirely stopped, and despite not going through the "waking up" tingly stuff, most of the feeling has returned to my face. I swear, when it comes to me, nothing is normal.

I hope you all are well. For those of you thinking of getting this surgery, I encourage you to do it. It's a big step, and the journey is full of things you cannot possibly imaging before personally experiencing them, but it is sooooo totally worth it. I have no regrets, and for me regret was the biggest fear. The only thing I feel is joy, painlessness, and an overwhelming sense of gratitude to everyone from my parents, to my surgeon, and to all of you, my wonderful followers, for helping me through this incredible journey.

Sorry if the pics are bad. Everyone is asleep so I had to use my webcam, and I couldn't find a table high enough to keep it level with my face, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment