Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 165 - Home

Hello everyone. Thank you all so so much for your good luck wishes and kind words.

I'm home now which is great. Surgery lasted 6 hours. Before anyone worries about this if they need scar revision I'll let you know that that portion of the surgery took only about an hour.

The reason it took so long is that I also got a rhinoplasty. Yep, the secret is out. It was nothing extreme, but anyone who has had jaw surgery knows that it changes your nose, too. For me my nose had significantly widened, and it widened even more whenever I smiled. The movement also exposed a bump on my nose. So my surgeon put in an extra couple of alar cinches and shaved down the bump on my nose. The tip was also refined to bring it back to a delicate point. I know that this will be worth it in the end, but I'll be honest when I say that I'm quite uncomfortable right now. My nose is packed and I have a "cast" over the bridge. Totally not comfy.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but back when I had a fifth screw in my mouth with a rubberband it had cut the gum above my left tooth. It did heal one I got rid of that band, but it healed in a weird right angle shape higher than the gum on my right side. Therefore another aspect of todays procedure included a recontouring of that potion of my gums.

The scar on my right has been successfully freed from the muscle beneath it. One bit of good news was the fact that the scar tissue in my mouth seems to have sorted itself out because once Dr A got in there he didn't feel the need to remove anything. The last bit of surgery involved the burning off of a couple birthmarks with a cool radio wave machine.

So there you have it! That was today's surfgery. I'll add more to the update tomorrow, but for now I need to get some sleep. Thanks again everyone, your kindness means so much to me. Be well!

5 comments:

  1. Its good to know ur feeling good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually looking into Rhinoplasty prior to finding out i had to have jaw surgery. my nose is very narrow and it has a convex, probably because of the open bite. Glad I didnt do anything yet, I'm still willing to have it done if the jaw surgery doesnt fix this problem.
    Hope your healing goes well. You're so brave for going through two big surgeries in such a close time period. I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been very concerned about my nose widening or becoming more upturned after surgery, and I've thought about getting rhinoplasty if my nose changes dramatically. I appreciate you blogging about it, Nora. I'm surprised that your oral surgeon also did your rhinoplasty. I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well and I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your surgery went well. Hope you're feeling better soon. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies so much for your kindness. It really does mean a lot to me to have you behind me :)

    Terra, I would definitely wait until after jaw surgery before considering any work on your nose. I would hate for you to go through this procedure only to have to do it again, or find that jaw surgery would've been all you needed!

    Max, your nose will likely widen after surgery. How much depends on you personally, what kind of movement is done, and how your surgeon works to prevent or minimize change. In my case the change was significant and not to my liking (though right out of surgery it looked awesome) so I opted for a rhinoplasty. But just be prepared for significant discomfort for the first 48 hours following a nose job. It is rather unpleasant, but certainly nothing you can't handle :) As for the fact that my OS performed the rhinoplasty I don't know how standard that is. Dr A also works on trauma victims as well as cosmetic patients so he can do it all. That and the fact that I wouldn't trust any other surgeon to take such great care of me. Talk to your OS and see what he says or who he would recommend.

    If any of you have questions about anything feel free to ask. That's what I'm here for! :)

    Thanks again, you ladies are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete