Sunday, July 10, 2011

More Jitters and Worries

So now that surgery is really really happening and I have a date I'm kinda freaking out. My biggest worry is in regards to the braces. I have no problem with braces. In fact I know I'll get them again after surgery, but I don't have them right now. Everywhere I look people are like "No you must have them before surgery...blah blah blah." Is this true? Is having surgery without braces going to make more problems? Will I regret doing surgery first braces last? Will my teeth shift after surgery as I won't have the braces to hold them in place? Sorta freaking out right now :/

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that it is possible to do surgery without braces, but I just have never read a blog of someone who has done it that way. I am assuming anyone who tells you it's not possible is not in the dental/orthodontic field, so it's probably coming from their knowledge of how the surgery is done. It's difficult for me to understand WHY they wouldn't put braces on, unless your teeth are absolutely stick straight. They use hooks along your brackets to band your teeth together both during and after surgery, and also use the arch wire to band a splint to if you need a splint after surgery. With that said, your surgeon obviously would not be going ahead with this surgery without braces if he thought you needed them. I would just put trust in your surgeon and ask him a lot of questions, maybe why you aren't having braces before hand and things like that. Also, if he does walk you through your surgery at a pre-op appointment, I am sure a lot of us bloggers would love to hear how the surgery is done without braces, so if you could let us know, that would be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dani,
    I've heard about it, just never knew/seen any blogs, you are the first! I think that's cool,
    I remember asking my surgeon why he needed me in braces, he said it was his personal preference So it's probably your surgeon's personal preference to do it without the extra metal (lucky). Let him know your concern and I'm sure he will explain everything!

    ReplyDelete