Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 5 - I'm on strike

It's day 5! I wish I could give a reason for that to be exciting, but I can't think of one.

I woke up around 7:30 am today and snoozed on and off a bit. Mom bought me Harry Potter on DVD (first part of movie 7), so I got to watch that. I cried a lot from it, which made me feel funny, but I like the movie anyway. My uncle also came to visit me. He brought me a special movie edition of some magazine for the 7th HP movie. I guess the world thinks Harry Potter is the greatest cure for surgery. I shan't disabuse them of that notion, because I kinda agree. I also got a letter from my college today that I made Dean's list! Wheee!! I get to celebrate inside my head since a celebratory meal is a no-go.

I've gone on strike against my meds (except for the anti-biotics, I have no choice with them). They just taste so vile and the smell alone makes me want to throw up. That and they make me see some seriously evil things when I close my eyes. I had an argument with my hallucinations last night. That may sound funny - but it was actually disturbing. So end of story? No more drugs. THEY SUCK! (sorry I had to get that out).

Downside of this choice is ouch. I'm not in a ton of pain so Motrin does help, but even that stuff is yucky. I used to be able to tolerate the citrus one as a kid, but guess which flavor is out of production?! Yep, there was mold in the factory or something like that, so it's yucky berry for me *cringe*

Right now my biggest complaint is just the overall discomfort. The swelling feels huge on my head and I feel trapped with my mouth wired shut. I think I'm going to try to eat some mashed potatoes today because chocolate ensure and chicken broth is bologna.....mmm bologna...

Another fun fact: my nose won't stop dripping and it is a real pain in the butt! Just stop dripping silly nose! Why are you dripping?!

I did try to brush my teeth today. It was horrifying. I got some of the gunk off, but the stuff right below my gumline I'm scared of. It looks like a ton of dead skin, but I'm scared to brush it off in case I do some damage. I almost cried when I was brushing. Seeing your mouth like that is actually kinda scary, not to mention really gross. Your gums shouldn't do those things!!!

And now for pictures. These were taken out on my back deck where I can try to get some sunlight. I'm like a little plant right now. Add a little sun and water and I'll be fine. Here's my pics then I'm gonna go off and do plant things.




Also, does anyone have ideas for food? I really need them. Sadly I am a a super picky eater and everything I find seems to involve fruit (which I dislike very much). Ideas would be cool :)

9 comments:

  1. Your blog made me laugh out loud in parts, it's so nice that you maintain a good humour through such discomfort! As far as food goes I'm planning on living on ice-cream :P I have heard that yoghurt drinks are good (especially those that come in squeeze packets) Do you like fish? Cod is nice and soft and always lovely with a little cheese (Not sure if you can chew yet, I doubt you can just now). Another nice thing to eat is buttered marrow. It's surprisingly tasty and slips down the throat with ease! I'll be trying protein shakes. You can get loads of flavours and they will help build your strength up.

    I can see that your results are going to be fantastic. Oh and well done on making Dean's list!

    :D:D Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macaroni and cheese was really good right after surgery, I just mashed it a bit with a fork to make the pieces smaller. I did the same with spaghettios. I actually really don't like them but after surgery I was so hungry and just wanted solids so badly, and they really hit the spot. I drank a TON of smoothies. Pudding is good. Oatmeal. Rice. It is hard for me to remember how I was eating at Day 5, so all of this may be beyond where you're capabilities are, but just for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i lived on protien shakes only for like a whole week and it really help i am a picky eater to

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm macaroni sounds delicious. I tried some blended chicken and rice but it was naaaaaasty lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you're having so much discomfort, but just try and hold on in there, and remember that it WILL get better soon! I've heard a lot of people say that their nose doesn't stop dripping for the first few days, so try not to worry about it too much. How does it feel being wired shut? I can't really understand how that works...I'm hoping I won't have to, but seeing as I'm a skinny caucasian girl too I guess I'm high risk :s Do you have a splint by the way? I know you feel rubbish now, but I honestly can't believe how good you look considering how soon after surgery it is. You really don't look too swollen and I can already see your amazing new profile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, thank you for the encouraging and comforting words right now. Being wired shut is honestly a bunch of poopie. I wasn't supposed to be wired shut but when he unwired me after doing the top jaw, my jaw fractured in three places. This is not normal, but I have some serious arthritis and have been wearing away at the bone for about 7 years now. So this mean he had to wire me shut. I won't sugar-coat this and say it isn't bad. I'd be lying to you. It honestly sucks. I really think it's the whole starvation bit though. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get un-wired sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jawline and profile look great!! Hope you're doing well! Did they say how long until you can chew normal foods?

    ReplyDelete
  8. looking great nora! and by the way i agree with the others it doesn't look like you have any swelling at all and that you just had surgery! wow, you must heal super duper fast - especially after the very LONG surgery you had to endure. i just cannot believe it! i love your profile btw!!

    oh, and what medication were you on? i recall reading somewhere that there is one that can cause nightmares!

    and i'd also vote for the mac n cheese - yummy! i love it baked with three cheeses. so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't thank you all enough. You've been nothing but encouraging and helpful through this.
    I recently tried the mac and congealed and I got very frustrated. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'll try again in a couple of days.
    And Braced Blogge, I need to double check but I'm pretty sure it's lortab elixir. The worst part isn't even nightmares. I see these thing when I'm AWAKE. It's quite disturbing, but stopped the meds I've been doing fine :)

    ReplyDelete