Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 6 - Roller Coaster

So today is day 6, which means that tomorrow marks one week since surgery! Time feels like it's been crawling and this past week has been one of the longest ever.

I kinda hit a wall today with food (again). I had to blend my eggs this morning and I cried because I was grossed out. I was too hungry to put up much of a fight and ended up drinking all of it. Then I tried to blend up some macaroni and cheese a couple hours ago. What a fiasco! It just wouldn't blend and by the time I added enough milk to make it runny I knew it would be just awful. I basically threw a tantrum and gave up, resigning myself to another Carnation Instant Breakfast drink.

My nose is still running but not nearly as constantly as the past few days. Another thing I noticed is that I haven't had any nosebleeds. Maybe I just have no blood vessels up there or something, because I never had a single nosebleed in my entire life...seriously, I'm not exaggerating. This is good though, because it's just one less inconvenience I have to deal with.

Also, having a big, scruffy, shaggy, sheddy dog, while AWESOME most of the time is very annoying when that shed hair manages to end up inside your wired jaws. No clue how it got in, but I was able to use a needle to get it out. Man was that annoying

Pain today is ok. I'm a little tender and still puffy, but I haven't even touched motrin since yesterday morning, so that is a huge victory in my book. The only "pain" I notice is a slight twinge in the right side of my chin. Kinda like when you poke a bruise. Mom says it's the nerves healing. I've dealt with much worse pain after a day of snowboarding, though, so this really isn't even much of a problem.

Swelling and skin issues. Still swollen (no surprises there) and my skin is in full rebellion. Break outs and dry scaly spots. Peeling in about a 1 inch radius around my mouth and of course super raw sensitive lips. I've gone through about 2 tubes of aquaphor already. Right now, aside from the drippy nose this is my greatest source of discomfort.

And...drum roll please...I WENT OUT!!! I got out and went to the mall today. I was only there for about an hour, but I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it. I was starting to get short with my mom. I feel bad, cause I know she only means the best by me, but I just had no energy or motivation to just try stuff on and do the whole "this or that" bit. In the end I got some much needed clothes and a new movie for the family to watch. Mom, bless her, was all for a full on shopping trip, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know how she puts up with me these days. So basically the mall, while exhausting, was a huge success and I was able to get out and move.

Total failsauce for visiting my friend, though. She works at our local head shop (hehehe) and I said I'd try to stop by so she can gets some laughs, but I was just too tired after the mall run so I went home. Sorry, E, I'll try for sunday!

The weight is still coming off. I'm down from 113 pre-op to 108. In the hospital I was at about 121-122 with all of the fluids they were pumping me up with. I'm all for getting in shape and losing my freshman "pudge" but this is ridiculous. If I'm gonna lose weight and tone up I want to do it the healthy way by eating right and treating my body like a temple, not starving myself. My pants keep sliding down :( I shudder to think of the damage being done to my metabolism with this starvation stuff.


Tomorrow I get my stitches removed from where they made the incisions on each cheek. I'm a wuss, so I'm scared. Oh well, consider it another milestone.

And now for the pictures!

Trying to snooze and escape for a bit yesterday

I know the smile is scary, but I wanna show you guys that I still can :)

Got my earrings back in the second holes! Win

Please excuse the icky skin and gooey mouth. Surgery and my face aren't the best of friends in terms of complexion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nora,
    You are doing really well. I looked very similar to you at the day 6 stage, but your profile is already looking fantastic even with the swelling still very evident.
    Are you completely wired shut? Is this why you are struggling with food options. At this stage in my recovery I was consuming stuff like porridge, rice pudding, custard, yogurt, mash potato and scrambled egg. Are you able to eat anything like that? or mainly liquid stuff.

    everything you are experiencing sounds normal and completely relatable... as frustrating as it all is, try to stay positive and get plenty of rest.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is 100% wired shut. If it isn't purely liquid I can't eat it. And it's going to stay this way for another 5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete