Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day 9 - Planty Things & Picking Up

After just over a week I can honestly say that today feels like things are finally starting to pick up. That's not to say that I don't still encounter moments of frustration. Last night I got weepy at the thought of another 5 weeks of pureed foods and nutrition replacement drinks. But my moments of self-pity and sadness aside, things are getting better.

I'm still quite swollen, though it is coming down slowly but surely. My lips are getting a little more mobility, though my speech is still impaired and I have to repeat things to be understood sometimes.

The skin rebellion of 2011 is still in full swing. My face is so dry in some places it feels like sandpaper. I don't want to peel it though because I don't want to feel raw on top of everything else. Breaking out is spreading to my shoulder. I think it's my body just freaking out after all of the chemicals that had been put into it. I just hope it stops and clears up soon, because I take great pains to make sure that my skin is nice, so this is quite frustrating.

Numbness for me is strange. Some places, like the bridge and tip of my nose, and chin I'm entirely numb. Others are a strange mix of numbness and sensation. The worst bits are the itches. Because I'm numb scratching doesn't relieve them so I just have to wait it out. Quite annoying at times.

Bizarre - I have a "spitting" stitch on my right cheek. The dissolveable (sp?) stitch beneath the skin where they placed the screws is actually poking out of my skin. If it doesn't fall out on it's own I'm going to have Dr A remove it on Thursday when I see him. 

Weird itches and swelling notwithstanding, today I felt almost human. I dressed in something more than just a slip dress and went out. Being a planty creature myself (see earlier post), I felt I needed more green and more fragrance in my life. I went with my mother to the local nursery and picked out some plants. I got lavender (my favorite) and mint (another favorite). I also got what I have dubbed Mr. Alien Plant. He's rather touchy and if you poke him his leaves close. He really is very entertaining.

I also got out to the mall again and got a new blender. Our food processor, while quite good, is just too large. Things get thrown up against the walls and it's hard to get the meats broken down enough to get through my teeth. Confession: I'm excited to try it.

All in all, today was the first "great" day since surgery.

Catching some TV, but I'm blind as a bat. Excuse the icky skin



1 comment:

  1. I dealt with really dry patches and acne as well. Before surgery, I never ever had acne. I am blessed with great skin! But after surgery, I have yet to get my chin to get back to normal. It seems more oily than the rest of my face no matter what I do! Hopefully yours clears up quicker than mine has!

    ReplyDelete