Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 7 - Milestones

Today is one week! Today is one week! One week ago I was still on the operating table. I can't believe I've made it to this point. It hasn't been easy in the least, but I hope that it just gets better from here.

So this afternoon I had my one week post-op appointment with Dr A. He seemed really pleased with how things were coming along. It really wasn't a true appointment in the sense that there were no x-rays or an exam or anything, but I did get my stitches removed. Yay! It didn't hurt. There were a few twinge-y pinches but nothing terrible. Like I said, I'm a wuss, so this came as a real relief.

He's concerned with the amount of weight that I've lost already - I weighed 106 this morning, so he told me that I need to weigh the same or more next time he sees me. I know that's not happening. I was really tiny up until my senior year of high school. All of the weight I had put on (about 8 pounds) was from really bad eating habits, junk choices, a sedentary lifestyle and binge eating, which means that I think a pound or two more are going to come off. I will of course gain it back post-op! This is not permanent!!!

I asked about being un-wired and when that may happen. I go to school at the end of august, and unfortunately, he said I'll probably still be wired when I go back. I don't think this will hinder my studies or fun, but it will make eating really annoying.


Fun fact? I have bed sores. Lame right? Two huge, and I mean HUGE blisters on my heels and a purple bruised spot on my tailbone. They think it's from being on the table for over 13 hours, because they turned me in the hospital and kept me on one of those beds that inflates and moves around.

On the awesome side of the equation I have clearance to start using mouthwash and a waterpik. Hooray! My mouth is really grossing me out right now, so this is a huge plus. Oh waterpik, I just met you, but I'm sure we shall be the greatest of friends.

Another milestone - I feel full right now! No nasty clawing hunger. I got really sick and tired of all the chocolate drinks last night, caved, and looked up how to puree chicken, beef, etc. We put some chicken through the food processor tonight and it was DELICIOUS. Seriously. Ok, having to drink my chicken was weird, and the more I had the less appetizing it became, but who cares? It's real food and I feel full. I'm absolutely thrilled. Dinner tonight was almost like it used to be.

Pain and swelling breakdown. Again, pain is not bad at all. Almost nonexistent. The only ouchy moments are when my nerves try to fire again and then it feels like a quick jab with a needle. It hurts, but it's so fast that there's no time to register real discomfort. It's more surprising than anything. Swelling hasn't gone down, at least from what I can see. That may be because I see myself every day, though, and gradual change is harder to pick up.

I think that about wraps it up for today. One week out and I'm starting to feel better about things. Today was definitely a huge leap for me, and I'm not going to forget it any time soon. I'm so thankful for everything and everyone who has stood by me through this.

To my other friends out in jaw land, particularly Cece, I hope that this post finds you well. This is a rough ride, and I think we'll all be stronger for it in the end.

Picture time!



2 comments:

  1. Oh sorry, just commented on an earlier post asking if you were wired shut, and I now know you are. Glad you found some yummy to food to consume.
    Wow I can't believe you were in surgery for 13 hours!!!! That's insane.. Do you know why you were in there for longer then expected?
    It must be painful to have bed sores, I know my butt was extremely painful after lying in a hospital bed for 5 days, however I never got any actual bruises or marks.. must be horrible to experience. Hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good news is that the bed sores are starting to heal. They aren't very painful right now which is good. Surgery lasted for 13 hours because after he had done everything he unwired me and my jaw fractured in 4 places. So he had to go in and redo EVERYTHING. Which is lame and also meant I had to get wired

    ReplyDelete