Thursday, June 9, 2011

Here's where it all begins

I guess to start I'll tell you what has brought me to this point - and I apologize in advance for my rather disorganized posts. I'm sure that by the time this is all over I'll be a pro. :)

For about 6 years now I have had TMJ, and in the past 3 or so years it has progressed to the point where I have developed osteoarthritis of both the left and right TM joints.  On both sides the bone has been worn flat and the disks are out of place.  I also have osteoids (little bony splinters) on the right side.

All of these issues are the result of an attempt to correct a rather significant over bite. The first plan of action was a night brace to hold my upper jaw back to allow my lower jaw to grow forward and meet it. The night brace did not help and I believe it is what led to the first "pops and cracks" in my jaw as I had never had a problem before having the appliance. Well I still had an overbite, so in the end my orthodontist "faked it" and pulled two upper teeth then closed the gaps made by the extraction in order to correct my bite. This of course failed to address the root of the pproblem: improper alignment of my jaws.

After dealing with the pain I said enough was enough and asked my mother to set up an appointment with an oral surgeon to see what could be done. I was so relieved! The surgeon confirmed that I did indeed have some issues in my bone structure which have brought me to where I am today. That "place" being pain, popping/clicking/crunching of my TM joint and general discomfort. The solution is orthognathic surgery (both upper and lower jaws).

I have created this blog to chronicle my journey through surgery so that I may seek support from others who have gone through it and to hopefully help someone out there who is going through what I have and will endure. 

1 comment:

  1. Its soo nice to finally hear someone else going through a similar experience with TMJD - I was beginning to feel rather alone! It took 7 years for my orthodontic to agree that my pain was serious enough to do something about.

    I look forward to reading your blog :)

    x

    ReplyDelete